Creditor Judgments In NY

Vacate A Judgement Against Me

Most people only discovered that a judgment was entered against them because:

– They have been notified that their wages are about to be garnished,
– They went to use an ATM only to discover their bank account has been frozen, or
– They try to sell or refinance their home, but they can’t because a lien against it exists.

Here at the Bromberg Law Office, we understand that any of the above situations can be frightening and confusing. Most people, when confronted with a judgment, initially don’t know what to do or where to turn. That is why we have dedicated our practice to defending consumers. We have the knowledge and experience to help you deal situations like this. A judgment isn’t always the end of the road. Sometimes it’s just the beginning. In many cases, we are able to get the judgment vacated and allow you to challenge the underlying lawsuit that resulted in a judgment against you in the first place.

How Did I Get a Judgment?

In order for a creditor to obtain a judgment against you, they must first file a lawsuit against you and win. In most cases, creditors obtain what is called a “default judgment” due to a consumer either, not showing up in court to defend themselves, or the consumer was never properly notified of the lawsuit, and never had the chance to defend themselves.

What Does a Judgment Do?

Creditors file lawsuits to confirm that you owe a debt. They then want to obtain a judgment against you, so they can take measures, such as wage garnishments, property liens, and frozen bank accounts, to force you to repay it.

Creditors also want judgments because they can last up to twenty (20) years in New York State and because they accrue interest at 9% annually until they are repaid in full.

What Are My Options For Resolving a Judgment?

You have a couple options when it comes to resolving a judgment. You can attempt to settle the debt or file a motion to vacate the judgment so that you can either defend the lawsuit or have the case thrown out.

If you have discovered a judgment against you, please contact us immediately. The sooner you act, the sooner we can help you resolve your debt-related issues. We have the knowledge, experience, and winning track record to help you defend your consumer rights.

Contact us at 212-248-7906 or fill out the form below